What Is A Healthy Hair Regimen? & How do I Make My Own?!?

3/20/2009 01:08:00 PM

Okay, so sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed by the SLEW of information that I get during my journey toward natural hair, and this is what makes me feel not so ready. I don't want to go into this and not know what I'm doing, just having a bunch of information at my disposal and not knowing when to apply them to myself and how exactly. It is quite frustrating when you're dealing with a texture you haven't dealt with for around 10 years!!

So I went searching again for some examples of the tips I got from the Myth Slasher yesterday! =]

Okay, so the first thing on my mind was: What is considered a 'healthy' hair regimen?
So I went searching, and I feel this is my favourite, and I got this from 'Black Girl With Long Hair' a long time ago, and just remembered that I bookmarked the page.
Then I remembered, that I already knew about the Castor oil thing, I just probably forgot that I knew...
-sigh-
Alright so, there's this girl named Brittany, and this is her interview...
http://blackgirllonghair.blogspot.com/2008/12/after-year-and-half.html
And, OH MY GOSH, you should see how much hair she has after a year and a half!!
I was taken back, like someone knocked the air out of me. Maybe to some people they're like "oh whatever" but to me, that is some NOOOYYCE THICK BEAUTIFUL HAIR RIGHT THERE....SON!

So yeah. Read that, I really advise that you read that. Seriously, if you haven't already.
Read that.


Anyways, I went searching some more, on google and found another place that gives you some sort of Template, you can call it, for buying products for your own healthy hair regimen...

"Your regimen, in order to be successful, should contain products that work together to address your two most important hair needs: moisture and protein. It should be basic, flexible, and be able to evolve based on your ever-changing hair needs.

The key to building a solid regimen is finding your own hair tolerance. The information in this article will help you develop the solid foundation you need to successfully build your healthy hair regimen.

One Size Does Not Fit All
As you progress in your hair knowledge, you will soon discover that very few things about hair care are sound gospel. Even the tips in this article are only presented as guides and suggestions to help you on your way! The simple fact is that hair is seasonal. Our hair experiences changes from day to day and week to week depending on a myriad of influencing factors including: humidity, hard water, and bitter cold or sizzling hot temperatures. Hair that was thoroughly moisturized and hydrated one week may become excessively dry and lifeless the next. A regimen that does not take these circumstances into consideration is ultimately a recipe for failure.

Let's Begin!
Now, I will introduce you to the important factors you must consider when choosing the products to support your hair growing regimen. There are two main types of product categories: protein based products and moisture based products. A rule of thumb is: The more you do to your hair chemically, the more of both protein and moisture you will need. The following sections will briefly outline the basic product components of healthy hair regimens based on these categories. A more indepth understanding of protein and moisture and their usefulness for the hair can be found here. "
-click-
Before I copy and paste the rest, this girl has chemically processed hair. So....if you could just ignore some of those things that apply to the relaxed hair..it should all work out the same. (but I'll still try to figure out if there's much of a difference)

"
Moisture

Hair needs water to maintain its elasticity, or ability to stretch. Since water is the ultimate moisturizer, water-based products are best for really getting the greatest moisture benefit.

Moisturizers are simply products that are water-based and nourish your hair deep within the strand. Products with moisturizing properties tend to be your conditioners and other specific moisturizer sprays or creams. Moisturizers may also contain large amounts of protein, but these protein based moisturizers do not have the moisturizing benefit that moisture-based moisturizers have. Check labels to gauge protein content. Good moisturizers will not contain cheap, filler ingredients like petrolatum, mineral oil, or lanolin. Avoid products that claim moisturizing benefits and contain these ingredients. There is nothing moisturizing about them! Petrolatum and mineral oil are sealants that seal out the precious moisture our hair needs.

Sealing in your Moisturizers:

Our hair naturally contains moisture, but because our hair is also naturally porous, keeping the moisture inside is a difficult task. Providing additional sources of outside moisture, or external moisture supplementation, is a must for black hair care. Water molecules and moisture from these supplemental moisturizing products easily pass into the hair shaft, but they pass out just as easily. The moisture you apply needs to held in by something. Oil.

Natural oils like jojoba, olive, carrot, or coconut oil seem to work best."

credit paid: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612 & http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html?cat=69

I think I may look around for some more later..
Thanks to all the brand new subscribers! You really don't have to...but i guess you already knew that...

S'laterzz!!
<33
-Sharz!

You Might Also Like

0 read this

Subscibers